Friday, March 16, 2012

D.R. - Day 2


Day 2 continued:

It was lunch time and I couldn’t help but feel bad. Yesterday evening after our meal Peggy, our Missions trip leader, had said that we just ate more in that meal than what people normally get in a day. I instantly became saddened; she tossed that comment out there as if it was just another statistic. She said we should be thankful…
                I felt terrible, why did we get special treatment? Aren’t WE supposed to serve THEM, the people living here? Not the other way around. It almost felt like a working vacation to me, I loved the people, the warm weather, the beautiful land… I never went hungry and the food was amazing. I wished that the people weren’t so concerned about pleasing us Americano’s, our purpose was to be a help not a burden. But they never made us feel like a burden, they were always so happy that we were there. I wanted to help the ladies in the kitchen wash all of our dishes, but we were only told to take our dishes to them and that’s it. I did not help them because I did not know Spanish nor did I want to offend them. Plus Peggy always had something to say after each meal so I couldn’t leave. I was sad, but I couldn’t wait to see what God had in mind for me; I did not realize how soon He would show me.
                My Grandfather (Pappy) went on this trip with me. We did not see a lot of each other but I tried to remember to tell him if I was going somewhere. Honestly I wasn’t very good at letting him know, I got so wrapped up in the moment. After lunch I pumiced more and used the glove my Pap gave me. He was right when he told me that the Pumice stone would eat at my hand, I got a tiny scratch. I was thankful for him and for the gloves.



                Around 3 o’clock a handful of us gathered in what I call the “mess hall” (where we ate) and got ready to go to a small batay called Esperanza. While we were waiting my Pastor (Pastor Robert) pulled me aside and asked me if I understood how praying for healing works and if I was comfortable with it. We were preparing to go to Esperanza to pray for people, and most likely some would be sick and he wanted to make sure I understood what we were getting into.
“I’m not really comfortable with praying for healing to be honest. I mean, I know it goes according God’s plan and it works and I’m not against it, I just don’t feel comfortable.” I answered.
                He understood and told me that praying, especially praying for healing, starts with God, He tells you what to pray for and you choose whether to listen to Him or not. If He wants you to pray for healing then pray for healing without a doubt that He will answer your prayers. I felt better after this conversation and felt more comfortable going into Esperanza. 

No comments:

Post a Comment